Friday 27 January 2012

#15 The Duchess of Malfi

I just finished another play, this one Jacobean, and by John Webster.  I am beginning to discover that a multitude of great plays were written in the time of Shakespeare and not by Shakespeare.  I would rate this play above most of Shakespeare's plays, mainly for the character Bosola.  I can't remember reading a character of his mold in other plays, he is the most fully developed and complicated character I have read recently.  He starts off as the typical ambitious evil servant, but throughout the play he becomes disgusted at his own actions and the people around him and begins to search for his own "good nature".  His change throughout the play is subtle and interesting to watch.  Another curious thing about Bosola is that he seems a minor character, but by the end it would appear he is the protagonist.  He is degrees more interesting than Hamlet because he feels more human.

Besides Bosola, this play has much to speak of its merit.  It is for the most part well constructed except in a few scenes when Webster can be seen to contrive an artificial plot device, but those are rare.  Next on my list is Marlowe, who invaded my dreams today in a bizarre and fantastical way.  I hope his plays live up to the strange visions I had of them whilst sleeping today.

1 comment: