Saturday 7 January 2012

A holistic reading.

So begins another year and my quest to break the 100 book barrier.  If anything I will try and break 80 and go for the legendary 81.  My quest will be fraught with distractions, lethargy, and indifference, and all other manner of eldritch evils.  Though I may not be an Arthurian knight errant, I can still apply the allegory to myself.

First up, and taking a mere three days to read ON THE JOB.  At a staggering 303 pages I read what will probably be the funniest book I read all year.  Few books are funnier than a Douglas Adams book, and few books are written by said Douglas Adams.

The title includes the word holistic, which is the approach Dirk Gently takes to understand any of life's mysteries to show how all things are connected to each other.  He describes it as taking quantum mechanics and applying it to a detective agency.  This simple mystery of who shot who includes ghosts (human and alien), time traveling Cambridge dons, messing with famous poets and ruining their inspiration, and of course saving all of humankind from destruction.  It even has a couch impossibly lodged in the stairwell that even well written computer programs cannot un-stuck.  I don't think I ruined the plot so long as all is forgotten that I wrote.

I understand there is a sequel, which I will probably be reading in about a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment