Sunday 1 January 2012

#79 and #80

These are my last books of the year.  I finished them in December, I just neglected posting them.  This will put me at 80, which is twenty shy of my goal.  But I still think a noble effort.

A Hugo winning science fiction book by the same writer that brought you Starship Troopers, which is on my reading list.  This book started off as political in nature and then turned into an orgy. I have the suspicion that the author was shamelessly writing his own sexual fantasies and trying to pull it off as reasonable and shameless.  But this was written in the early sixties during the time of 'free-love', or as I understand it to be 'free-love'.  His writing was informed enough and he was definitely willing to take risks as an author which makes me want to read another book of his.
438 pages.




My second book by Bernd Heinrich this year, and though not as fun as Mind of a Raven, it is definitely as informative, if not more so.  How do some small animals survive in harsh winters, like mice and Kinglets?  Though it explains the science of the animal's body, it does not use scientific language.  I enjoyed it and will try and read more of Heinrich in the years to come.
316pages.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very interesting finish to the year.
    I just finished #2

    ReplyDelete