Tuesday 10 January 2012

Seven Storey Mountain

What is up with the formatting of Blogger today?  Why can't I write up top?

Last night, while working, I finished reading Merton's autobiography of faith.  He has such an amazing ability to construct an autobiography that I had to keep reminding myself this was his true story and not a well written novel.  It is an easy mistake to become absorbed in this book, especially since Merton seems to never have forgotten anything in his life.  The small details that he recalls in his memoir is quite extraordinary.  I often was left wondering if he either embellished the narrative for a more novelistic feel, or he truly remembered everything up to and including his childhood.  As wit any good story there is struggle, sadness, and an ultimate happiness at the end.

If a reader wants to read a truly 3-dimensional character I would recommend this book as a readerly experience.  And it is also a spiritual salve for those wanting a more ponderous reflection on personal spiritualism.  His story is the story of most people and their desire to find meaning.  His meaning and life was for God, and that brought him happiness, but I think his journey has an application beyond his own experiences.

1 comment:

  1. When you live in a monastery in the middle of Kentucky, you're going to have time to reflect and remember a lot of little details. I read this back in 1997 or 1998 and was struck by it in the same way.

    ReplyDelete