Wednesday 1 February 2012

Marlowe

So its been about a decade since I read Christopher Marlowe, and somewhere in there he somehow is not as amazing as I remember when I first read him.  Maybe I didn't have much to compare him with other than Shakespeare, and they are pretty even when it comes to writing.  But now, he just seems wordy.  His characters speechify all the time compared to the more flowing and excited Middleton.

Having said that, Tamburlaine Part I was still good.  A lot of the speeches I enjoyed even though they went on a little longer than reality.  I couldn't help but wonder how the play would have looked in the hands of a Webster or Middleton, probably a little sicker and twisted.  The scenes with the former Persian King being placed in a cage and eating table scraps were quite amusing until he "brains himself on the cage bars".

I will start Part II tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment