Friday 10 February 2012

#21 The league of awesome characters

This is like my 5th graphic novel this year, which I will soundly blame on the iPad for making it so convenient to read them at work.

Let me just say this first: Much better than that terrible movie.

This is about five famous characters from Victorian literature that are recruited and set about to save London.  It sounds cheesy, but to read these well developed characters talk and react in some situations is something worth seeing.  I praise this work (Volume 1) not because it is Allan Moore and I should praise everything he does, but because it is well conceived and drawn.  Each section on the volume includes several pages of mock advertisements from the time (1898) as well as a very long Lovecraftian style story concerning Alan Quartermain, John Carter, Randolph Carter, and the Time Traveller.

As for the graphic novel aspect, the characters are Captain Nemo and the Nautalus, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. hyde (I count this as one), The Invisible Man, Wilhelmina Murray, and Alan Quartermain.  And their villain is a Mr. M (I won't say more).

There is a Volume 2, which I will get around to reading sometime this year, maybe next week.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this one. It's been on my wishlist for quite a while. I've never seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete