Saturday 25 February 2012

#28 The Filth

I have been waiting several days now to post this latest entry in "Weird books i have read", and frankly I am without understanding of Grant Morrison's post-modern graphic novel entitled: The Filth.  It is really hard to make sense of something that is mutli-dimensional and by dimension I mean it travels freely between the 'real world' and scripted comic book pages.  The main character is confused the whole book, as well is the reader, which I guess Morrison intended.

Strange things in the book I cannot make sense of:
-A talking communist chimpanzee that is an assassin.  I appended a picture of this primate so I wouldn't be disbelieved.
-A superhero ripped from the pages of a comic called Super Original that is now real and wants to destroy this real world for taking him from his comic pages.
-Mutant sperm that is enlarged and kills all the women in Los Angeles by violently flying through their wombs.
-A dimension that is organic and living everywhere, and feels like something ripped from a Cronenberg movie, or from Lynch.
-A pleasure cruiser that is its own country and goes around destroying everything it comes near.
-Small beings that live in your body and destroy cancer and other ailments, but they use photosynthesis to live, so if the body is deprived from sunlight, these beings eat the body.

I think I can keep going on for a while.  I cannot connect these strange symbols together to make any sense of the graphic novel, which was a fairly long read.  I guess I will have to reread The Filth to make better sense of it.  It was well written, and the drawings wee very dense and required one to look carefully at every frame to "understand" what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment