Wednesday 5 September 2012

Identity Crisis

Despite reading reviews saying this was a terrible story that involved shamelessly killing a lovable character.  I think the people writing the review were far more entrenched in the DC Universe than I am.  I had no connection to Sue Digny, so when she died it really wasn't a terrible thing for me.  I guess she was the modern Gwen Stacy for the Elongated Man.  I enjoyed the mystery of the book and how it played out.  I read this rather long piece over the Labor Day weekend and am a little upset with the end.  The person murdering the loved ones of super heroes was a jealous ex-wife that walked out on her husband.  Her motive was to get her husband to care for her again and so they could be together.  Is this the modern representation of women in comics today?  Either as jealous ex-wives or as voluptuous sex goddesses (Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Starfire.........).  So I found the ending less than awesome.  I don't care if there isn't some unimaginably powerful enemy or a simple non-touched human, I just want the story to satisfy, and this one did not.  Though I will say the characters are well written and believable in all of their actions.  The dialogue was smooth, and only a couple of times did I read something that didn't quite fit.  I just wish the ending had as much polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment