Friday 28 September 2012

Crisis on Infinite Earths

Remember that time in the 80s when Supergirl died?  Yeah that was this book, when DC figured that it's multiverse was too complicated for new readers.  People couldn't keep track of all the parallel earths and continuities so they decided to reboot the whole universe which affected all of the characters of DC and Vertigo. In the process they killed Supergirl and the current Flash.  Did I mention that this comic was basically one cosmic battle after another that it eventually drains on the reader who has to read 400+ pages of superhero battles.  There is such thing as attrition.  Every time I turned the page I thought to myself, "Oh no, not another battle."  Maybe I have been reading too much Grant Morrison because he knows how to pace his stories so they don't turn into some giant battle at the slightest instigation.  This is also a vey wordy graphic novel, I guess while punching the anti-matter Monitor in the face Superman has a lot to say.  Usually the words are didactic in origin, which felt like a unwanted reference to the Silver Age of comics.  Basically I did not like this comic.  It was long and boring because of too much action. Characterization was limited and ideas were to few and scarce.  Maybe I read this in a piss poor mood, and I may end up reading this again in the next couple of years as I work on my dissertation on comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment