Thursday 6 September 2012

#75 Final Crisis

I know recently I placed David Sims ahead of Grant Morrison as favorite comic book writers.  After reading Morrison's Final Crisis I am afraid that Morrison has now moved ahead of Sims.  This was an amazing graphic novel that I wished was twice as long.  This is the sort of novel you wonder how it got published, and now that it has you are thankful.  Morrison, who writes sci-fi in a postmodern way is difficult to grasp if you lack the knowledge he is working from.  I have never seen string theory applied to a plot like in Final Crisis.  In the DC Multiverse there are 52 universes each with their own versions of all the super heroes, though they are usually different either in appearance or attitude.  Anyways these 52 Earths are watched over by the Monitors, who represent a sort of Godlike presence.  On the other end is Darksied (Pictured) who represents a sort of Hell.  Now Darksied tries to take over Earth-0 (DC Universe) and he does this through the collapse of space and time and an "anti-life equation" that turns anyone that reads a mathematical equation to be automatically his slave.  THe Monitors on the other hand become celestial vampires that start feeding on the 52 worlds.  These two powers collide and results in the complete fracturing of the multiverse into one chaotic mess.  By the end, when all seems utterly hopeless Superman manages to have a glimpse of the "Miracle Machine" which will grant him one wish.  So after Darksied is killed and leaves a black void where Hell was, Superman wishes the best for everyone, resulting in the disappearance of the monitors.  So in one grand sweeping Epic Morrison has killed the afterlife using String Theory.  There is much much more, but elaboration breeds more elaboration.  The only thing about this book I would want more of is time for each superhero to breathe and develop in there own roles.  I felt sometimes the action was disconnected.  I wonder if I was missing some stories that were published elsewhere.  The main themes are here, I just wanted more.  I will have to read this again when time allows, along with my other favorite Morrison book, The Filth.

No comments:

Post a Comment