Wednesday 28 March 2012

Slaughterhouse 5

This was a real quick read, and my first Vonnegut book.  I guess it was humorous, but I found it difficult to smile while reading the book.  I hate cover quips that say a book is funny when it is only slightly amusing.   Why not just say the book is amazingly written and intelligent?  Do buyers only respond to humor?  I want to become a famous critic that sucks and put quotes on famous books like:  Crime and Punishment will be the most exciting and hilarious book you read all year.  Or how about: Titus Andronicus is for Shakespeare what Transformers 3 is for Michael Bay.  So it goes.

Now that my rant of the day is over--I greatly enjoyed the book.  I finished en route to places.  I read on trains and buses and in a week of short travels I am finished.  I am not sure to call this memoir/war story/ or science fiction.  I won't classify it then, I'll just remember the Tramalfadorians as a possibility and leave it at that.  It is funny, at times I felt that if Vonnegut was more silly he could have been comparable to Douglas Adams. Or maybe if Adams was more serious he could have been Vonnegut.  I will have to read more Vonnegut to determine this.

No comments:

Post a Comment