Sunday 25 March 2012

#38 Battle Pope

I read this one under the suggestion of Alex, which was suggested over a year ago.  My main interest for reading this was for theology...just kidding.  The writer is Robert Kirkman, who also writes The Walking Dead, which is currently my favorite ongoing comic saga.

This comic is humorous, and a lot of the humor fails to please.  I wasn't bothered by the blasphemy, it just wasn't very funny.  The art was good, and Kirkman can tell a story.  As for the characters, they are caricatures/parodies of their biblical counterparts.  And it revolves around the dysfunctional family of God, Mary, and Jesus.  As with comedies, it ends with happy marriage between God and Mary, no longer making Jesus illegitimate.  My only problem is that Joseph was nowhere mentioned in the entire comic.  Was his presence inconvenient to the story?  There were also several unresolved stories that I would like to have seen some resolution for.  Not bad, but not exactly great.  I will give it praise for its creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment