Sunday 4 March 2012

#32 A Mad World: My Masters

This is the latest Middleton play I have read, mainly just to read something of his before I leave his massive collected works in storage at Yellowstone.  I thought what better than a comedy.

The first four acts are about a bunch of tricksters tricking each other, and mainly getting a lot of money from Sir Bounteous Progress.  It was all funny and good and then by the end of act four the stories of all of the tricksters were brought together for a dinner party where I was expecting greatness.  A masterstroke of denouement, but instead it ended with a play-in-play device and Sir Bounteous being forgiving to his grandson who has married Bounteous' mistress.  It was not the ending I wanted, I'm not sure what I wanted, I just wanted something where I could go -- Bravo!  This is the first Middleton play where I felt a little let down, maybe I am expecting too much from him.  I will resume my readings April 20, when I return for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment