Wednesday 28 March 2012

#40 Marvels

I know.  I have like 8 or so graphic novels so far this year.  I can't seem to help myself.  And I am already starting the gargantuan task of reading all 300 issues of Cerebus, which is a very intelligent comic, or so I hear.

Written by Kurt Busiak and illustrated by Alex Ross, this graphic novel is beautiful to look at.  I mean absolutely beautiful.  For the art alone I would read this book.  But the concept is what intrigued me.   The story is centered not on super heroes, but the average person in the Marvel Universe and how they react to super heroes and villains destroying their fair city of New York.  They complain, they cheer, are jealous, petty, and are scared.  The citizens go through all stages of emotions as Galactus crashes into town, or when Spiderman fails to save Gwen Stacy.  This novel covers the major Marvel stories from the 70s from the ground level of an average person.  Beautiful art and great storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment