Sunday 28 August 2011

#53 Holy War: The Crusades and their Impact on Today's World

by Karen Armstrong, 541 pages.

I love Karen Armstrong.  As far as I can tell there is no one writer today that I trust more to write about modern and medieval conceptions of religion than her. Her breadth of knowledge and her understanding of the three major religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) is amazing.  I am humbled when I read her books, and am always impressed.

I never really understood the Crusades, I just knew at some point in history a bunch of Europeans went to Jerusalem and started killing people, but having read this book my understanding is much more concrete.  I know the heroes and villains of the major crusades as well as the mindset of the participants.  I loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment