Friday 11 January 2013

The Art of Amanda Connor

I wanted to have a better look at how a women in the mainstream comics industry drew superhero comics so I purchased a large folio/book that showed and also talked about the art of Amanda Connor, one of the top illustrators today.  I was really interested in how she would draw women, since she was a woman.  The zaftig females she draws are far more voluptuous and alluring than the ones drawn by men.  I have seen her pictures used in articles condemning comics for portraying women as sexual objects.  Though those articles failed to mention the pictures were drawn by a female.

Putting aside her female figures, her drawings also feel very human.  Her characters evoke charm, warmth, and emotion.  Connor's characters are not ultra realistic, but have a sort of cartoony quality.  I would place her art next to any artist working and show how her art better conveys the story than most other artists that take pride in their hyper realism.  I am a fan of hers, I just wish she would work with writers that I enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment