Monday 7 January 2013

First Post of 2013

So I fell short of 100 by about 10 books.  90 is not too bad.  I'm hoping I can do a little better, and hopefully my classes this semester will have me reading actual books and not a huge assortment of random essays like last semester.  I can't include essays in this blog, no matter how amazing.

So to start the new year I have read one of my books for the upcoming semester.  This is a slim book of nearly 180 pages about how some teachers excel where others fail miserably.  I couldn't help but constantly visualize myself as a teacher in Korea doing everything wrong.  Whenever Bain would point out poor practices of not-so-good teachers I remembered myself doing those exact same things in Korea.  Like the ever popular, "guess what the teacher is thinking" game.  Or the motivation through grades and exams routine.  How I wish I could go back and rectify my style.  I feel over the years that I have improved and was closer to what Bain was talking about, though not nearly as successful as the teachers he mentioned.  I know I still have miles to go before I am a good college teacher.  This was an great way to start the year.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, it may prove a very useful book for myself.

      Delete