Sunday 15 July 2012

Top 5 All-Time

I believe this may be the 3rd or 4th time I have read this book.  I love the way Thornton Wilder writes, it reads like silk.  The story is beautiful, the characters are real, and the tragedy is sad.  This book just reads well.  I don't know why I haven't read any of his other novels, maybe it is because I am afraid they won't be as good, or as well written.  Is that a strange sentiment?  I love this book so much I am afraid to read anything else by this author lest it somehow detract from this one book.  I also really love his play Our Town, but that is another subject.

But if I had to say, this book is easily in my top five books I have read.  It is right up there with Walden, The Georgics by Virgil, As I Lay Dying, and The Confederacy of Dunces.  This book also marks 2/3 of a 100 books for the year.  I have 5.5 months left to read another 34.  Hopefully school facilitates this and does not hinder it.

No comments:

Post a Comment