Tuesday 31 July 2012

The Case for God

Think about the title for a minute.  Yep, you probably think the book is about why we should believe in God, especially coming from Karen Armstrong, the premier writer in religion today.  Though she is more of a pantheist than anything, as the books pictured on the cover shows, she still has the deepest knowledge and understanding of the three major religions of Christianity/Juadaism/Islam.  This book is not an argumentative case for God, but and understanding of God through time.  This is a chronological history of the beliefs in God.  How different ages approached the deity and how new ages changed the old ways and believed in again redefining ways.  This is not what I expected.  I was expecting maybe a modern understanding of our modern faith.  I didn't want history, though I do not know it all, much was review.  I wanted to see how she understood faith and technology and the new-atheists (Hutchins and Dawkins -which she does spend about 20 pages on.)  So this book, well-researched, was not what I was looking for.  And it is my fault as I misunderstood the title and did not read the Amazon reviews.  Still a great mind here, and a book for those wanting an introduction to the major beliefs through time.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of Armstrong's books, and I've wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend her history of the Crusades and Fundamentalism.

    ReplyDelete