Wednesday 23 May 2012

Dam busting

It always seems that when I get to Yellowstone I can't help but read books on environmentalism.  I have an urge to learn about the nature around me, and this book is no different.  It concerns the dams on the Snake and Columbia river and their impact on nature.

I will admit that I have bought into the whole 'hydro-power is clean power' mantra, but that was without knowing the details of how dams affect and destroy a river.  Salmon in the Snake is at a low, and could face extinction due to dams blocking the way.  The recovery of salmon implemented through various agencies is ineffective, and only by breeching the dams do the fish have a chance.  Another worry is that the dams slow the rivers which means that less oxygen is in the rivers for life to thrive.  And dams keep back salt and noxious chemicals that industry pumps into our rivers.  So there are environmental considerations.  This book covers many important aspects of the adverse affects of dams on the environment, community, salmon, and Native American treaties.  There is much in here that is political, but I enjoy that too.  For about the first time I would actually advocate breeching the dams that I drive by every time that I go to Yellowstone from Oregon.  Even though Bonneville is an historic site, I think I would rather see more fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment