Thursday 10 May 2012

#50 Cerebus

I am halfway to a 100!  I am making pretty good time right now.  And my night shift has started so books should start flying off of my shelf these next three months.

So while in Korea I began reading book 1, Cerebus.  This is an anthology that collects issues 1-25 of Cerebus the Aardvark.  This is written and illustrated by David Sims.  Though the comic is satire and meant at times for laughs, which it does very well, it also has the best characterization of any comic I have read.  Many comics come close to the level of character depth, but it just seems like every new character Sims introduces is a homerun.  The differentiation of characters is amazing.  The writing is beautiful.  The art is elegant.  The satire is both funny and insightful.  I can't say anything bad about this comic.  And book 2, High Society (26-50) Is supposed to be even better and more structured.  When comics are done well this is what you get.  I salivate when I think that there are 300 issues and that I get to enjoy 275 more!

1 comment: