Thursday 19 April 2012

The Irredeemable Ant Man

I have mentioned before, but I am a fan of Robert Kirkman, and have been since 2005 when I picked up hardcover volume one of The Walking Dead.  I recently read his comedic series Battle Pope, and have also read his Marvel Zombies series.  His style is a style I like, especially as he knows how to build a story and create characters a person can relate to.  It doesn't hurt that his characters will change over the course of the story arc, which I guess is why his best works have been original and not part of an established comic like X-Men or Batman.   I imagine he would begin to change the characters personality and show growth in a comic world stagnated from fear of change.

So my latest endeavor into a Kirkman comic was The Irredeemable Ant-Man which is a limited run series, or maybe it was cancelled (Not sure).  It follows a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent that ends up with Hank Pym's ant suit and decides to exploit the suit for his own lust and gain.  He really isn't a hero, more of a shallow jerk that spies on women taking showers.  And also rescuing some women and using this as a means to get a date.  The humor is here, as well as the story.  This series also contains one of the most pointless moments in all of the comics I have read, and that is Ant-man versus the Hulk.  The comic consists of our lusty hero shrinking down and entering the Hulk through the nose (Pictured) and then trying to bring the hulk down from the inside by ripping him up.  He does absolutely nothing, he can't harm the hulk and leaves covered in snot and failure.  The pointlessness and futility impressed me to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment