Wednesday 4 April 2012

#42 Knightfall

In anticipation of this summer's Batman film which will host the dangerous Bane, I read the huge story arc: Knightfall.  Just doing my research for this summer's movies.  Next up are the Kree and Skrull war from the Avengers.

Knightfall is the first real menacing appearance of Bane and his drive to break Batman physically and mentally.  This is the famous storyline where Batman literally has his back broken by Bane and Azrael puts on the Batman costume while Bruce Wayne recovers.  But like all Batman stories there is always the moral problems of chivalry vs. outright vigilantism.  Should I just turn the thug over to the police or should I kill him so he is removed forever from Gotham.  This is handled, I felt, poorly by the two writers, who I felt were not up to the task of breaking Batman.  I can only imagine how Frank Miller would have handled this storyline.  What greater more enduring themes would Miller have investigated?  Instead we got Knightfall, which wasn't bad, it gave us Bane, but it wasn't great.

No comments:

Post a Comment