Sunday 9 October 2011

#71 The immoralist

171 pages.

So this is the last book I read for the Yellowstone summer, a short, almost novelette, book.  This is only the second book I have read by Andre Gide, and this is slightly better that Straight is the Gate.  Having said that, I found the book slightly scintillating and mostly boring.  The main character was strange and acted sometimes in a way I would act, but at other times his behavior was foreign to me, so relating to the protagonist was difficult.  And to be honest I found the narrator/protagonist annoying.  One thing I will say is that the translation was very good, and this may owe something to Gide's way of writing fluid sentences.  Not once did a sentence feel out of place, or was any word jarring.  Other than that I look at this book as some fluff at the end of the season.

1 comment:

  1. I keep seeing a Gide novel at the Kyobo in Cheonan called Strait is the Gate. I almost want to buy it just to see what it's about.

    ReplyDelete