Friday 15 April 2011

A Borders Boon

So I took a leisurely stroll this morning hoping to do some shopping (its been 14 months since I've been to America).  I stopped at Jamba Juice, got myself an orange dream, and had difficulty finishing the beverage.  I proceeded to Ross and bout a towel and some comfortable shoes.  I restrained from buying more.  I am not an avid shopper, but after not shopping for the better part of 27 months, the urge is stronger.  Next I went to the local Borders hoping to buy a Terry Pratchett, when I discovered the Borders was closing down, which is always a sad site.  It is my second favorite bookstore, Powell's being my favorite.  Having gotten over the initial reaction of sadness, I read the signs which claimed that all inventory was 70% off.  Half an hour later I was stooping over so as not to drop my prodigious load.  I was balancing books on one another, placing the firmer ones lower and the smaller ones at non-Euclidian positions.  I purchased 18 brand-new paperbacks for the low low price of $74.52.  My receipt says I saved $158.57.  That sounds about right.  I'll probably read most of the books this summer.  I just wished I would have gotten here a week earlier when the inventory was greater.  The selection was pretty slim, unless you wanted Glen Beck's new book, there were a lot of those.  Even at 70% off, a Californian won't buy that abortion of a book.

2 comments:

  1. What did you buy??? I bought 5 yesterday...some of them were pretty cheap, though. See me rationalize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually went back the next day and purchased 5 more. From a flawed memory: True Grit, Zombies Spaceship Wasteland, The Philosophy of Work, the Dancing Plague, Dracula, Frommers Wyoming/Montana, The Animal - Phillip Roth, The Case For God - Karen Armstrong. This is all I can remember, but I will try and mention them as I read them :).

    ReplyDelete