Wednesday 20 April 2011

#23 Zombie Spaceship Wasteland

What can I say?  This was a funny book on the life and observations of Patton Oswalt.  I'm not sure what I expected from this book, which seemed to be a series of disjointed biography with stuff that was funny insetrted.  The biography read like a series of short stories, and the funny stuff served its purpose well.  I liked it.  I was surprised at how well Oswalt wrote, and that he could make me laugh with high frequency and without it feeling like he was forcing it or trying too hard.  I liked the book, and probably because I have similarities to the protagonist in that he played Dungeons nad Dragons, read comics, had terrible jobs and knew wierd characters in his daily life.  The sense of a shared experience goes a lonf way in sympathising with a character.  I keep talking about this book as though it was a novel, which it felt like despite its biographical pretext.  Much better than I expected.  The first book I read from my great Borders Boon.

1 comment: