Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Devil's Law Case

Not much to say about this John Webster play.  What do you say when you are constantly questioning if the play is a non-funny comedy, a drama, or a tragedy?  I could not place this play, and it turns out it was a comedy because everyone ended up happily ever after with some punishments that were more of a passing shot against Catholicism.  So in Protestant England this was probably a pretty funny play at the end.  This was definitely not in the same league as The Duchess of Malfi, which has got to be in my top five plays from this era.

The best scene was a long scene taking place in a Jacobean courtroom which feels amazingly similar to our current courtrooms.  I enjoyed reading this farcical episode of Law and Order in a Webster play.  I will have to re-read this scene and neglect the rest of the play.

1 comment:

  1. All I can think of is "The Devil and John Webster".

    ReplyDelete