Monday 12 September 2011

#59 In the Wake of the Plague

220 pages.  By Norman F. Cantor

So I see this Cantor name all over the medieval history section all of the time and I finally decided to buy one of his books.  I didn't wholly regret it because I did get it 35% off at the closing Borders in Billings, but it wasn't a great book.  I was expecting a book about the Black Death, but I believe the title was misleading.  It was more of a buffet of different aspects of medieval life, with no clear thesis.

He jumped from topic to topic, sometimes without warning.  I felt this book was a collection of random lectures he gave on a set of different topics.  Another troubling aspect of the book was that there were no footnotes or reference notes.  How can you read this as a book of scholarship without these certain notes.  The answer it is not a book of scholarship.  This is just another entry into the genre of popular history for those who only want to hear about some interesting things that went on back then.  I feel at this point in my learning I have progressed beyond popular history and need to read more serious fare.  Sorry Norman F. Cantor, I gave you a shot, and I can only assume your middle initial stands for FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment